Ulcerative Colitis Blogging and Update

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Hello, Ulcerative Colitis World! I am just now joining the ulcerative colitis online community, and I hope to entrench myself in this blogging adventure for years to come. I am no stranger to blogging, having been a blogger for the last 2 years or so. This, however, marks my first step into the ulcerative colitis blogging world.

I started out blogging about my wife's first pregnancy, and eventually, she took over that blog, while I started a new one about being a dad. Those two blogs taught me so much in terms of coding, content, and updating. That dad blog eventually died due to a busy schedule, though it lives on in another side family blog, which is also hosted here on Blogger.

My next venture was a gaming blog, a hobby I happened to pick up after my uclerative coltiis flare-ups. Gaming allows me to enjoy something while staying at home, and being available to my family. I can even interact with my friends on these games, so going out is not a necessary option. The perfect hobby for a family man! Nerdy or geeky? Maybe. But at least I can focus on what's important in my life, and still get time to myself.

My next blog was a site dedicated to providing information to parents who have babies in the neonatal intensive care unit. Since I work in the NICU, I was able to pool together some informational resources and create NeonatalICU.com.

Now, I venture into blogging about my ulcerative colitis. I have seen many blogs from women affected by UC, and that doesn't surprise me at all. Nearly 75% or so of consistent bloggers happen to be female. So, here's another male voice to toss into the mix.

With my most recent flare-up having been almost 3 weeks ago, I am almost completely back to normal. I noticed a tiny amount of blood the other day, but it has since disappeared. My 20mg of prednisone seems to be helping in combination with my Lialda dosage.

I've had to watch what I eat pretty carefully, but I have been able to tolerate some oranges and other fiber foods in small quantities. I've been pushing the vitamin C in juice form as well, devouring cranberry and orange juices for the last 2 weeks. I just so happened to catch a nasty cold about 4 days after my UC flare-up. Convenient, right?

You know what's funny? How my grocery list changed overnight. Healthy fresh fruits and veggies, whole wheat products, dairy...all gone. Instead, lots of soups, jello, white bread, chicken and turkey. The more bland the better.

Three more weeks until my check-up, and then I find out when my next colonoscopy will be. Talk about a fun blogging event!

Comments Welcomed! 0 comments »
Share/Bookmark

0 comments

Recent Posts

about-me
Irritable-Bowel Syndrome news headlines provided courtesy of Medical News Today.