The Battle of Ulcerative Colitis Dieting

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

First, let me start by saying I cleared up my commenting problem...feel free to comment at will! Thanks Rich, for letting me know it was an issue!

With my recent ulcerative colitis flare-up, I previously mentioned I had to go back onto the ultra-bland foods. You guys know the drill, no raw fibers, nuts, seeds, popcorn, etc. Lots of easy foods like soups, chicken, turkey, eggs, etc.

I have two problems with this type of dieting. First, for the last couple years I have been on a health food kick, meaning I have been eating just about as much 'natural food' as I can. This included lots of veggies and fruits, especially raw. With Lialda controlling my ulcerative colitis, I have been remarkably capable of tolerating these superfoods. I have even been able to eat walnuts, almonds, and peanuts in moderation.

With my current higher calorie intake (thanks prednisone), my system is readjusting to lots of foods my body is not used to taking. Sure, I still get stewed veggies and the like, but a change in diet is something my body is letting me know about. It's much harder counting those claories for sure.

The second problem I have is that my wife needs all sorts of crazy foods since she is pregnant. My grocery bills can skyrocket with her odd requests. This leaves me to try to adjust to her menu items as well, creating a very difficult balancing act. We have ice cream, crab cakes, lots of chocolate, fresh peaches, meatloaf, macaroni and cheese, Honey Bunches of Oats, and Tag Along Girl Scout cookies topping our list at the moment. OF all that, I thik the meatloaf and macaroni are the best items, and we know how slimming both of those can be!

Because my symptoms are still not back to normal (aka blood still spotted occasionally), I cannot start drifting back to my normal foods. Even then, I usually give my ulcerative colitis a good month of remission before I start changing foods anyways.

Let's hope the prednisone doesn't start catching up with me. The combination of increased appetite and higher calorie foods is a formidable enemy. Stay tuned!

Comments Welcomed! 1 comments »
Share/Bookmark

1 comments

  1. msmachine // February 17, 2010 at 6:22 PM  

    Hooray! I tried to comment yesterday. I am glad you got it fixed up.

    I am on the super plain diet right now. My family has mixed feelings when I tell them I am making roast chicken, gravy and potatoes. They like it. But the like it because I have gotten so good at cooking it and it is a sign that I am not doing so well.

    Today I had an ensure drink for lunch and chicken and rice for dinner. I don't dare eat until I get home.

    Good luck with the Pred. (Yuck, I hate that stuff)

Recent Posts

about-me
Irritable-Bowel Syndrome news headlines provided courtesy of Medical News Today.