First Onset of Ulcerative Colitis

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The very first time I noticed symptoms of ulcerative colitis, I was 17 years old. I was in my senior year of high school, and I had noticed small amount of bright red blood in my stools. Being young, and thinking I was invincible, I just shrugged it off. But a couple days of bloody stools turned into weeks, and weeks turned into 6 months.

I noticed no other changes. My bowel movements were normal, and I had no cramping. I went to 2 different doctors, both telling me I probably had a rectal tear or fissure. No bloodwork was done on me, and I simply took their advice.

I graduated high school early, and spent the last semester of 'school' with my girlfriend. Come two weeks before prom, I started getting very, very sick. The blood in my stools went from bright red to dark red, and I started seeing lots of mucus. I started having cramps, and my bowel movements started happening frequently.

In my mind, I thought I was just having a bad stomach virus. I locked myself away in my room for almost a week and a half. I didn't tell anyone the severity of my symptoms, part of me afraid there was something much worse that was wrong.

Finally, the day before my senior prom, I was severely dehydrated, having bowel movements every 30 minutes or so, usually producing very little stool. I was so sick I started throwing up, and couldn't keep any food down at all. I had lost almost 15 pounds by then. I finally caved in and told my parents everything, and they rushed over and came and got me.

Oh, did I mention I wasn't living at home? I was living with my friend so I could be closer to my girldfriend. My family had moved during my senior year, and I decided to go back for the summer to spend with my girlfriend before I had to go to college. My parents came and picked me up and drove me straight to the hospital. I could barely walk. Needless to say, I missed my senior prom.

I spent 3 and a half days in the hospital for my first severe ulcerative colitis flare-up. With IVs running, they diagnosed me on my second day, after an ultrasound, colonoscopy, and CT scan. It was then that first realized that the rest of my life was going to be different.

After that, I went home and rested for a week. I was placed on 3 medications: sulfasalazine, prednisone and 6-MP. Sulfasalazine is an anti-inflammatory, prednisone is a steroid, and 6-MP is an immunosuppressant. Quite a heavy dose of medications to be on.

I was then 18 years old. My next serious flare-up would happen 2 years later.

Comments Welcomed! 0 comments »
Share/Bookmark

0 comments

Recent Posts

about-me
Irritable-Bowel Syndrome news headlines provided courtesy of Medical News Today.