My First Major Flare Up - Age 18

Friday, February 12, 2010

My first major ulcerative colitis flare-up put me in very critical condition. Because my ulcerative colitis was undiagnosed, I had no idea how serious my condition was. I was living away from home, so I was relying upon myself to get better. Big mistake. Headstrong and stubborn, I was determined to rest and get better.

I had been having ulcerative colitis symptoms on and off for the previous 6 months, but the final two weeks of that period was what put me in very critical condition. As my symptoms got worse, so did my health.

After finally calling my parents, they came and got me and took me to the hospital, where I was admitted to the emergency room.

Here is a list of symptoms I was having:

  • Extremely bloody stools. Blood in the water as well.
  • Diarrhea
  • Frequent bowel movements, approximately every 30 minutes. Very little stool with actual bowel movements, but lots of blood.
  • Extreme nausea. Vomiting every hour or so.
  • Inability to eat. Could not keep anything on my stomach. Couldn't even keep water down.
  • Extreme cramping, causing large amounts of abdominal pain. On a scale of 1 to 10, my pain was a 9.
  • Extreme exhaustion. I wanted to sleep, but my body wouldn't let me.

When I got to the hospital, they immediately put me on some IV fluids in the ER, drew lots of blood work, and attempted to put in a suppository. The suppository was quickly ejected with my next bowel movement. I had an abdominal x-ray in the ER as well. The ER physicians were pressing on my stomach, trying to feel for swelling I am sure. I told them when it hurt when they pressed on certain areas.

That day I was moved into my own room as an inpatient. I was not able to eat any food, and my bowel movements continued frequently. For whatever reason, my nausea and vomiting subsided that night. Maybe it was the IV fluids.

Day 2

Day two had me getting an abdominal sonogram and CT scan. A colonoscopy was also on the agenda. For my CT, I had to drink some very nasty barium liquid to coat the insides of my digestive tract. It was white and chalky tasting, and I have absolutely no idea how I got it all down.

The CT scan was very painful, because I had to lie flat and still the whole time. Not only could I not use the restroom if I needed, but I couldn't curl up in a fetal position, which is just about the only comfortable position when you are suffering from ulcerative colitis cramping and abdominal pains.

I think I may have been allowed to eat chicken stock that night.

Day 3

Day 3 was the colonoscopy, and I had to drink that nasty Golytely "go lightly" junk. It was awful. I had to drink all of it within 2 hours. I think it took me 4 hours to get it all down. Nevertheless, my colon was definitely cleansed.

During the actual colonoscopy, I actually 'woke up' and remember clearly that I was looking at the video screen as they were scoping my colon. I started asking apparently coherent questions and my gastroenterologist asked me to remember a few key words, "pizza" and "soft drinks". Then I assume he had the anesthesiologist turn up my anesthesia because I don't remember anything past that. I do remember him talking her though.

In the recovery room, my doc came to me and asked me if I remembered the words he said, which I did. More anesthesia to knock me out next time!

Day 3 ended with me eating more chicken broth, water, and a special treat of jello. Clear liquid diet is what I had been put on.

That day we found out I had ulcerative colitis. With my diagnosis confirmed, I was placed on prednisone and 6-MP, and sulfasalazine as well.

I was released from the hospital the next day, and I spent the next week at home recovering. It took me nearly 2 months to completely get rid of all my symptoms. I was on the prednisone for 4 months, and the 6-MP for 2 months.

The next flare up would be two years later, and it would be much, much worse.

Comments Welcomed! 0 comments »
Share/Bookmark

0 comments

Recent Posts

about-me
Irritable-Bowel Syndrome news headlines provided courtesy of Medical News Today.