June and Remission!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

It is mid-June now, and I can comfortably say I am back in remission! Ulcerative Colitis, stay the hell away! The blood has finally disappeared, and everything is seemingly back to normal. Of course, now that I have blogged about it, I'm sure it will come raging back any day now. Perfect way to jinx myself.

The road to remission was a long one, though it could have been worse. In the past, I have gone up to a year trying to get my colon back to normal. My regimine included: eating a healthy diet, working out regularly, and making sure I got enough sleep to allow my body to rest and recover.

I didn't go quite as hardcore on the diet as I could have. I included fiber regularly (yes, I ate salads and raw fruits), and even splurged with a soft drink every now and then. I didn't avoid dairy this time either, keeping yogurt and cheese a regular part of my meals. Luckily, I cannot stomach milk by itself, so I never drink milk straight. Not that I would anyways, with this whole ulcerative colitis thing and all.

Baby on the Way

The due date for our second child is getting closer, and the last hing I want is for my UC to flare up again. Hopefully I have remedied my latest flare-up, so I can be a healthy daddy come delivery day!

I think it's important for me to re-emphasize how important getting rest and keeping your body in shape is to recovery from flare-ups. Far too often in society today, we tend to let ourselves slip into an ongoing state of laziness and convenience. Ulcerative colitis feeds of these, and manifests itself into a monster we unleash on our colon.

To fight towards remission, and to maintain remission, working out regularly and getting enough sleep are vital pieces of the puzzle. The body needs to be healthy, and it knows when it needs its rest. Every aspect is a key component to a healthier ulcerative colitis lifestyle!

Comments Welcomed! 1 comments »
Share/Bookmark

1 comments

  1. arkayeff // July 18, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

    Life changing road ahead. Good luck.

Recent Posts

about-me
Irritable-Bowel Syndrome news headlines provided courtesy of Medical News Today.